Monday, June 11, 2007

back into unemployment

i quit my job!

i quit after 2 months ++ at teledirect and had 1 more month to go in my contract. i like my job and love my colleagues but i still quit. why? heh u might be asking the wrong question. anyway here's a flashback just for the record. my first job, definitely worth reminiscing.

my last day was 31st May 2007, a thursday.

i came to work early that day, as always, sat at the visitor's reception area, turned on my ipod and plopped open that thick max lucado book i read every morning. one last chapter left. Muttered a prayer under my breath. my last day but i still needed strength.

it was a very special day at work cos the big time clients were coming to look around and observe our calls yet again. Which is why we had to put on our best front...So at the briefing today instead of shouting 'Sales sales sales!' we went 'SHOWTIME SHOWTIME SHOWTIME!' which was kinda hillarious haha.

Well it went well and we were more *ahem* honest and careful with our words than usual during that day, not that we weren't honest and careful usually. Well, it was showtime afterall. We stood up for the entire time they were in the office (which i recall was quite long) and cheered and clapped when someone had closed a sale and even when there were no sales. The situation was in short, hillarious.

I found great joy in telling particularly difficult customers i'll be calling them back next week knowing that one of my colleagues would have to deal with them in my place next week. :)I definitely wasn't slacking though, i managed to get a decent 17 sales which is minimum required target for me, for my last day. In fact, I was so into my work that I forgot that I had an exit interview at the HR and I could've stopped work about nearly an hour ago!

So after the interview I came back for the last time to pick up my things, had one last look at the cruel white board that attached each of our names to the number of sales we had. On good days the white board boasted to the world about your day's achievements but on bad ones, the dreaded figures on the white board would drive Oni(our teamleader)crazy, and eventually she would drive us crazy with OT and a whole lot of pinching haha. I looked around the office and saw my beloved colleagues all abuzz busy trying to close last minute sales before 630pm hoping that it would be their lucky day - one without OT! The atmosphere was, still, out of this world... the only kind of office where the bosses are happy when it's noisy and worried when it's quiet.

And then I waved goodbye and left my teammates stopped a while to say goodbye to me and continued with their OT alas. :)

On the way out of the building it felt really different. Firstly because I'm actually walking out when the sky was still really bright haha and secondly because I was walking alone. I started to miss the times where my colleagues n I would walk to the LRT station together talking LOUDLY, exchanging stories and laughing incessantly about the interesting customers we each had during the day. There was our fair share of whining about OT and low sales and stuff and I must say those walks were very therapeutic. It's nice to have great ppl to talk to after a whole day of ppl trying to put down the phone and avoid us.

I waited at KLCC in the meantime, as my colleagues from another campaign were going to have sort of a farewell dinner with me. These colleagues are really special ones, they weren't even in my campaign but they were SUPER welcoming and helpful and friendly when I was just a loner/noob in teledirect. Westly, Tuan, Chloe, Farah showed up and we waited patiently outside of Chilis for nearly an hour before we got seats. :S But it was worth it I was so hungry I could eat a horse and the food was good (huge portions) we just stuffed ourselves. And we talked loudly again (esp Chloe the hyperactive) haha.

Later on they even surprised with me with a cake - and no ordinary cake it was Blueberry Cheesecake from secret recipe! :) The chilis waiter got it wrong tho cos he lit it up with candles and got the staff to sing the 'happy birthday' song to me.

IT'S NOT MY BIRTHDAY!

haha i blew the candles out and we tried to eat some cake but couldn't so I had nearly the whole cake to take home :) They were very kind also to keep asking how I was going to get home and kept telling me how to be careful through horrifying tales of their first hand experience with pervs and robbers on the streets of KL. We took some pictures to remember the occassion by and left at 10 plus!! and they still had work the next day!


I love my colleagues.


But we were gonna have an outing the day after so I had that to look forward to. :)

No comments: